Advising is a critical ingredient in students’ transition to success in college. FPCC is committed to providing every student with meaningful academic advising.
Students are assigned to an academic advisor during or as soon as possible after admission to FPCC. Students with a declared major are generally assigned to a faculty advisor most closely aligned to their field of study. Students meet with their advisors for assistance in: developing educational plans, selecting appropriate courses in their program of study, and in the general registration process. Students may change their advisor after the first semester by contacting the Registrar.
The role of the advisor:
- Assist students with defining and developing realistic educational and career plans.
- Make available pertinent and accurate information about FPCC programs and professional requirements.
- Approve designated educational transactions (e.g. registration, drop/adds, directed study, independent study, graduation applications, and other relevant forms.)
- Assist students in the evaluation of progress toward established goals.
- Provide accurate information about resources.
- Assist students in identifying career opportunities.
- Refer students when attitudinal, educational or personal problems require intervention.
- Reinforce student responsibility for academic decisions and behaviors.
- Familiarize student with the FPCC catalog.
The role of the student:
- Spend time and effort to identify and clarify personal values, abilities, interests, and goals.
- Communicate and share ideas in the academic planning process.
- Become knowledgeable about and adhere to institutional procedures, policies and requirements. This means reading, understanding and utilizing the catalog.
- Contact and make appointments with advisors when required or in need of assistance. The college catalog has phone numbers and office locations. Office hours are posted outside faculty offices.
- Notify the advisor about changes in appointments, career or major plans or course schedules.
- Plan in advance for advising sessions: bring necessary materials such as transcripts, placement scores, FPCC catalog, proposed class schedule and questions.
- Follow through on actions identified in each academic advising session.
- Request a change in advisor, if necessary (change of major) by completing a major/advisor form at the Registrar’s Office.
- Accept final responsibility for all decisions.