All provisions within this catalog are subject to change without notice. If you have questions or comments, please contact HSnell@fpcc.edu.
The Desktop Support Technician Certificate program qualifies an individual to plan, implement, and support networking configurations in a business or industry. Students learn desktop applications, basic networking knowledge, and operating systems. The curriculum prepares students for an exciting career in the computer industry. The completion of the coursework will prepare students to take Microsoft Certified Enterprise Desktop Support Technician, and CompTIA A+ and Network+ Service Technician exams
Occupational Objective: Desktop Support Technician
- Build, configure, install, trouble shoot, maintain and repair the current generation of personal computers and Microsoft operating systems.
- Install and maintain wire and wireless networks for small business and home networks.
- Perform basic network administrative functions for the support of a modern server with understanding of Domain Name Serve (DNS), Dynamic Host
- Configuration Protocol (DHCP), and Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
- Demonstrate entry-level skills in hardware maintenance of multi-media equipment, including home entertainment and corporate and academic presentation equipment.
- Perform work in a “team” environment with an emphasis on completion and quality of work.
- Possess the skills necessary to take the industry standard tests for Microsoft Certified Enterprise Desktop Support Technician (MCDST), and CompTIA A+ and Network+ Service Technician exams
Estimated Program Costs
|Tuition and Fees||$2285|
|New Student Fee||$15|
* The amounts shown above include costs for the entire program, assuming normal time to completion. Note that this information is subject to change.
Related Instruction Requirements
|Communications (WRIT 101 or WRIT 104)||3|
|Computer Applications (CAPP 131)||3|
|Health (HLTH Options)||1|
|Human Relations (HS 100)||1|
|Mathematics (M 111 or M 121)||3-4|
|Native American Studies (NASX Options)||1|
|Total Related Instruction credits required for certificate||12-13|
Desktop Support Technician Certificate Program of Study
|ITS 164 Networking Fundamentals||3|
|ITS 182 Help Desk Support||3|
|ITS 205 Computer Hardware and Software Management||3|
|ITS 218 Networking Security||3|
|ITS 226 Operating Systems||3|
|ITS 286 Help Desk Support II||3|
|Total Program of Study credits required for certificate||18|
|Total credits required for certificate||30-31|
*Due to the small number of students in FPCC programs, numbers have been withheld to preserve Fort Peck Community College students’ confidentiality.